- SERVALS AUTOMATION (P) LTD (Servals) is the name of the venture.
- It is part of the SERVALS Group which has a history of nearly 40 years in industrial marketing.
- Servals has been designed as a Social Enterprise and is engaged in the manufacture of socially relevant products, focused primarily on providing clean, green, affordable and indeed sustainable energy for cooking and lighting purposes.
- The products of Servals includeEnergy Efficient Kerosene Burners and Kerosene Stoves. They have also designed and perfected the prototypes forPlant Oil Stoves, Hybrid Kerosene Stoves using straight vegetable oil, TLUD Wood stoves andPlant Oil Lamps.
- Some of our more recent notable achievements include – winning the Sankalp 2010 award in the Clean Energy Sector, being nominated as a World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer Candidate for 2011 and being identified by InfoDev asone of the 8 companies leading the technology innovation for climate change
“To bring appropriate technology
to the “bottom of pyramid” to
enhance quality of their life”
- We address the global social problem of energy conservation
- by encouraging the usage of alternate and renewable energy sources
- with a focus on ushering in Rural Economic Independence
- especially for people below poverty line in developing countries
- Venus Energy Efficient Kerosene Burners
- A patented product
- Offering a 30% savings in Kerosene consumption when used on Servals Kerosene Stoves
- Is the single largest manufacturer of Kerosene burners in India with a market share of about 7%
- Enables the use of locally available non-edible plant oil instead of Kerosene
- A breakthrough technology that uses Plant Oil as cooking and lighting fuel.
- ‘first-of-its-kind’ in the world initiative, this endeavor’s ultimate mission is to promote Rural Energy Independence.
- Prototypes ready. Being field tested currently.
- Toppling Safe Stove: Special statutory requirement in South Africa. Design getting patented in South Africa.
- Kero-Assisted Plant Oil Stove (Hybrid): Twin tank version ready. Worked with Rockerfeller Foundation (Innocentive) for design fine-tuning. The Hybrid stoves were recently tested in Kenya and found to be performing well.
- TLUD Gasifier Wood Stove : These wood stoves can accept waste materials like twigs, dry grass, husks etc without felling trees. The gasifier technology also makes the process carbon neutral. With Servals’ recent design enhancements, these stoves have become more user friendly.
- Varsha Rain Guns: Redesigned by IIT, Chennai under the Ru-Tag Scheme of the Government of India. Currently used in irrigation. Alternative applications indust abatement being piloted.
- Servals’ long term energy plan: SAPL dreams of an energy terrain where all the energy for a household is produced and bought within the local community itself. Working on creating “rural energy entrepreneurs”; spawning a stream of sustainable income generating activities.
➢ Key Management
➢ Venture Capital Partners (49% equity)
- Mr. P. Mukundan – Managing Director (View Complete profile)
➢ Mentors➢ Funding Support
- AAVISHKAAR Micro-Venture Capital Fund (http://www.aavishkaar.org/)
- ERM – Environmental Resources Management
- GBF – Grassroots Business Fund
- L-RAMP (joint venture of IIT – Chennai & RIN) http://www.lramp.org/
- Rockefeller foundation, US (www.innocentive.com)
- Social-Impact INR (http://www.social-impact.org) Support for Technology solution
- We augment our production resources by collaborating with NGOs. We have a successful model with “Trust for Village Awareness” at Koothambakkam
- We work with NGOs to offer Income Generation Activities;We use Self Help Groups as grass root level marketing channel
Key Awards and RecognitionFor the Enterprise:
For its products:
- Winner of the Sankalp 2010 award in the Clean Energy Sector – Established Enterprise Category
- Nominated as a World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer Candidate for 2011.
- One of the 8 companies identified by InfoDev (a program of the World Bank) as leading the technological innovation for climate change
- Identified by Cornell University, US as a case example in their Sustainable Global Enterprise Project.
- Winner of the L-Ramp Innovation Award for “Award of Excellence – Enterprise Category – 2007”.
- Distributor of stoves and burners for the Tsunami affected victims (Tamil Nadu) ; work commended by NSIC
- Plant Oil Stove – included as “Social Innovation” in the book “Break through” published by CII
- 2005 Award ‘Most Fuel Efficient Stove’ category by the PASASA (Paraffin Safety Association of South Africa), promoted by leading global petroleum companies such as Shell and British Petroleum
- Venus burner – Certified as the most fuel efficient burner in the market with a thermal efficiency in excess of 63% as compared to 55% that was generally accepted as being very good
- The BIS wanted to adopt the Servals burner as a standard benchmark for all other similar type burners in India.
- Certification from Anna University, describing the product as ” Boon to Common Man”
Write to us by clicking here
➢ We’d like to hear from you :
- Net-working with Social Entrepreneurs
- Global Contacts to carry forward the message of energy conservation and renewable energy to bring in “Cheer to millions of people below the poverty line”
- We invite companies and Individuals sharing our vision and are looking forward to brainstorming new ideas, concepts and investment opportunities.
- We would like to act as a foundation for budding entrepreneurs/technopreneurs with business plans/ideas sharing our vision